Tuesday, August 21, 2012

365 Days of Praise Challenge-Day 270

The dark veil of hormone driven thinking is still with me. It's not usually so lengthy so hears to hoping it ends today. Despite my black mood, I was very excited to see my new shipment of Medifast meals arrive. I got some new things to try like the soft-baked cookie and some cheese puffs. So my hope is being strengthened. Our hope can be strengthend in Christ through the Word, through being with our Christian brothers and sisters and worship. When I am in these kinds of dark hormone driven days, I like to have something good to focus on. I got a book at the library that is one in a series of books from the AD Chronicles by Brodie and Brock Thoene. This one was called the Twelfth Prophecy and about the story of Abigail, the Samaratan woman that Jesus speaks to at the well of Jacob. The Word tells us that Jesus asks her for a drink of water from the well which was a big No-No in that world. Jews and Samaratan's did not like each other and men did not talk to women they did not know. Abigail was indeed surprised by Jesus' request but complied and ended up in a conversation with him that led to her belief and her spreading the news of Jesus to all the Samaratan's she knew. This fictional story fills in the background of this woman who was married 5 times and shunned by her community because of her sins. The theme was all about the hope we have in the living water we have in Jesus. It was exactly what I needed to help me through my black mood the last couple of days. Thank you Lord for this tale that was woven around your Word.
 
Jesus, tired out by his journey, was sitting by the well. It was about noon.
A Samaritan woman came to draw water,
and Jesus said to her, “Give me a drink.”
The Samaritan woman said to him,
“How is it that you, a Jew, ask a drink of me, a woman of Samaria?”
Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God,
and who it is that is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink,’
you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water.”
The woman said to him, “Sir, you have no bucket, and the well is deep.
Where do you get that living water?
Are you greater than our ancestor Jacob, who gave us the well?”
Jesus said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again,
but those who drink of the water that I will give them, will never be thirsty.
The water that I will give will become in them
 a spring of water gushing up to eternal life.”
The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water,
so that I may never be thirsty or have to keep coming here to draw water.”
Jesus said to her, “ Go, call you husband, and come back.”
The woman answered him, “I have no husband.”
Jesus said to her, “You are right in saying, ‘I have no husband’;
for you have had five husbands, and the one you have now is not your husband.
What you have said is true!”
The woman said to him, “Sir, I see that you are a prophet.
Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain,
but you say that the place where people must worship is in Jerusalem.”
Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe me,
the hour is coming when you will worship God
neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem.
You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know,
for salvation is from the Jews.
But the hour is coming and is now here,
when the true worshipers will worship God in spirit and in truth.
God is spirit, and those who worship God must worship in spirit and in truth.”
The woman said to him, “I know that Messiah is coming.
When he comes, he will proclaim all things to us.”
Jesus said to her, “I am the one.”
 John 4: 6-23

No comments:

Post a Comment