Monday, January 21, 2013

365 Days of Spirit-Filled Fruits Challenge-Day 58

I actually love when I come to a word in the bible that I don’t know the meaning of. I get on Google and find all kinds of word bible studies, commentaries and definitions. I read this verse from James this morning and the word ‘firstfruit’ caught my eye because of the challenge to ripen the fruits of the Holy Spirit within me and because I wasn’t sure about its meaning. The firstfruits were the best of the crops that God had produced for the Isrealites and they gave those back to God to show they understood that all the crops are from God’s labor. This makes me think that in working on ripening the fruits of the Holy Spirit that I have to be mindful that these fruits are created in me by God. I cannot let the sin of pride take hold of me when a fruit has shown itself outwardly from within me. These fruits are all God! Being loving to my husband, patient with my child or joyful with my co-workers is all from God. It is never a “me” thing. That is why it is important to take the time each day to thank God for the fruits that were demonstrated within you and let him know that these firstfruits within us are all because of him.
James 1:18 He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.

No comments:

Post a Comment