Sunday, June 24, 2012

365 Days of Praise Challenge-Day 212

My daughter and I went to see the new movie "Brave". It was a fantastic movie filled with good laughs, scary moments and a great message. The main theme of the message is about pride. I found myself curious about this word. It's one of those words that you know what it means but you don't have the words to actually define it. So, I did a little research and found pride to be considered the sin that started all sins. This is the sin that Lucifer had that led to the fall. Pride is the excessive belief in one's own abilities that interferes with the individuals recognition of the grace of God. I found a quote that says it very well: Medieval theologian Thomas Aquinas said of Pride "inordinate self-love is the cause of every sin (1,77) ... the root of pride is found to consist in man not being, in some way, subject to God and His rule." There is a very good article about pride that is well worth reading at http://www.allaboutgod.com/sin-of-pride.htm.  It says the opposite of pride is humility. It is like fighting fire with water. It gives two good examples of pride from the bible and talks about how to recognize pride which is very subtle and how to combat it. I am thanking God for the gift of this movie that shows how pride tears things apart and how humility mends them. I pray that others that watch this movie who are suffering from this sin of sins will finally come to recognize the truth. Take a look at your own life, as I will do myself, and exam your motives. That is a good start... 
1Peter 5:5 All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."

No comments:

Post a Comment