Monday, July 16, 2012

365 Days of Praise Challenge-Day 234

My neice did so well for her baptism. It was such a joy to watch parents I know committing their child to God. The baptism was at a much smaller church than I am use to. It was very hard not to be distracted by the differences but in the end I got one message from the sermon that is sticking like glue. Apparently, this church hasn't had a baptism in quite a while so the sermon incorporated the baptism which we don't see a lot at our own church because we are baptizing almost every Sunday. The pastor was talking about what do you say when someone asks you, "what do you do?".  I have heard this question and asked it many times over the last several years being in my business networking group but I have finally learned what the initial answer should be. I am a child of God. We are first and foremost a child of God and because we have accepted Jesus and been adopted back into God's family, we should also think of ourselves as Soldiers and/or servants of Christ. That should be the core of who we are. I have been thinking of my self discover excerise that I adopted and adjusted many years ago when I was struggling greatly with who I was. I created the word wall in which I take sheets of paper and write "I am" statements.  I take each statement and put them in a circular shape on a wall with the central core of the circle being the most important central part of who I am and lesser degrees of that going outward. I found I had negative statements in my core that were hurting who I was so I created positive affirmations counteracting those negatives and posted them around my apartment. After a few weeks of seeing and reading those affirmations, I was able to look at my wall and move out the negatives from my core and eventually off my wall. I was also able to take what I what at that time I believed my core should be: I am special, I am unique and I am human. That core has greatly helped me become the person I am now but I realize that since truly accepting Christ, my wall of words has changed and those core statements should become I am a child of God and a servant of Christ. So, I will be working on creating my new wall down in my basement studio in the days ahead and get my affirmation reminders up and around everywhere.  I will post a picture of my wall once I get it up and going and once I completly and honestly feel my core has changed to include who I am because of Jesus. Thank you Lord for the blessing of my church and for the nugget of truth I got from this little church.
Galatians 3: 26 You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment