Sunday, May 27, 2012

365 Days of Praise Challenge-Day 184

I was reading from a chidren's bible story book at bedtime last night to my daughter. We read about David and Goliath. I know that I have heard in sermons about how the old testament is a foreshadowing of what comes in the new testament with Jesus. I was reminded of this last night when I read this story and saw the word "overcome". David had overcome the Philistine, Goliath. He won and he did it without a sword. The devil is the Goliath in the new testament. Jesus overcomes and is victorious over the devil not by sword but because of his love for his father and us. The jewish people at the time were thinking that Jesus came to do real battle and take over as ruler but they missed the foreshadowing of their own King David. David overcame because of his faith in God and Jesus overcomes satan because of his love for God and us. Faith and love will be victorious in the end. This is the truth that brings us so much hope. Through our faith and love for our savior and the Father, we, too can be victorious. I know competition can fuel people's motivation but we don't need to compete. We have already won. What we need to do is let other's know that they too can have that hope and win over sin and satan when they believe in Jesus. So although the final battle in the war is won, we need to keep letting God work through us to bring more soldiers of Christ into the realm. David and Jesus won by faith and love. They are the examples of how we should win over the lost. Does your faith and love for Christ shine out to all around you?
1 Samuel 17:37, 45, 50 David says, "The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine. " David said the the Philistine, "You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, who you have defied.  So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone; without a sword in his hand he struck down the Philistine and killed him.

No comments:

Post a Comment