Thursday, July 4, 2013

365 Days of Spirit-Filled Fruits Challenge-Day 220

Today as we celebrate the freedom of our country, I will celebrate the freedom given to me by God. I remember the day that the weight of fear and shame was lifted off of me thanks be to God. Driving home from the Women of Faith conference, a sweet lady in the car asked me about how I came to know Christ. I told her about my years of disappointment after disappointment trying to get pregnant with our second child and how I finally opened up to God and acknowledge that I didn’t have control over what was to happen with my life but He did. With my knowledge of my temperament and temperament theory, I can see how that was the time when I started really communicating with God. When it comes to relational and social issues, my temperament is a double-edged sword. I do not initiate friendships and conversation for fear of rejection but I need to have a good amount of this to be fulfilled. During this time of infertility, my two best friends became pregnant and my sister. It was a struggle to maintain my emotions with them so the topic was avoided as much as possible but it pushed me towards God and ultimately led me to accepting Jesus into my heart. My need for socializing was now being met fully by the one who can meet all our needs. Another temperament need I have is the need for lots of control over other people and no control from them over me. Because I was becoming more open to God and starting to learn about Jesus, I finally was able to submit to God and acknowledge that I didn’t have control. But the third need in my temperament regarding love was not being met yet because of my fear of rejection. I have a compulsive need for love and affection but do not initiate it so others don’t know of my need and it doesn’t get met. As I told my story in the car to this dear lady, I heard a voice ask “why are you afraid?” It was at that point I realized that I didn’t need to fear rejection because I have the one and only true God who loves me in ways beyond measure. This love set me free. The weight of shame from the three abortions I had in my younger years was lifted so I went home and told my husband and family of my past sins. I was free from the fear of people rejecting me because of my past sins. I know that I am loved and that compulsive need for love has been fulfilled by the only one who could fulfill it. Do you have a freedom story? I would love to hear how the Lord has set you free. Have a blessed independence day!
Matthew 10:8 Freely you have received, freely give.

No comments:

Post a Comment