Wednesday, October 2, 2013

365 Days of Spirit-Filled Fruits Challenge-Day 299


What does it mean to have an “open-door policy”? I had the natural assumption that when that person specifically said “I have an open-door policy” that you could go to that person with whatever is on your mind. On Monday, I was called into a meeting unexpectedly in which I ended up not being needed but I come to find out that the owner got very perturbed because the co-manager could not find me initially and told him she must be on break. He made the rash decision to implement scheduled breaks for the data entry department because of this. I wanted to set the record straight with him that I was not on an official break but had simply away from my desk because nature called and I had to go. I also wanted to give him my opinion on scheduled breaks vs. flexible breaks. I came up with an email and had a co-worker review it before sending it to him. Two minutes later, I was called into the co-manager’s office. Apparently, “open-door policy” is not what I thought. The one co-manager that I have had issues with in the past, was angry because the boss was going to come down on her because I did not go to them first. To make a long story short, I came to the point where I just felt beaten down to the point of despair. I cried and told them what do I do stand up to this or walk out. To make the issue even worse, an email was sent later in the day to everyone that no one was to go directly to the owner for anything that we must follow the hierarchy. My co-workers and team lead defended me and found the “open-door policy” in the employee  handbook to be very ambiguous with no clear direction in how to proceed. The owner did not respond to my very nicely put respectful email. My heart felt crushed by the weight of the lack of respect, consideration and courtesy given to myself and my fellow co-workers. I spent the evening looking for a new job and will continue my pursuit of a better work environment where people don’t treat you like you are nothing. Thankfully, I have my God who has an honest and true open door policy. God will never make you feel like you are nothing but quite the opposite. His love, acceptance and caring will heal me from this battle with evil. Please pray that God leads me to another job and/or gives me the strength and courage to go to this job for the next year while I get my schooling done. God is for me and will make good out of the suffering I am going through.

1Peter 1:6-7 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment