Friday, January 30, 2015

Day 6: Drawing Closer to God (Fear No More)

A few days ago I had to make a phone call that had me feeling a little anxiety. An older member of my flock as a deacon at my church was in her last days I was told via email. In the email, was the phone number for the daughter of this dying lady. So, rather than making a trip out to the facility she and her husband have been living in, I decided it was best to call the daughter since it had been a couple days since receiving the email and I had not been in a situation to be able to reach out to them. I have never been big on calling people that I do not know, let alone calling someone under such circumstances but I shared my anxiety with my hubbie and God worked through his encouraging words to help me let go of my anxiety and just do what God wanted me to do. I made the call and was sad to hear that she had indeed passed away a day after I got the email. I attended her memorial service today and found I had no more fear. I just felt conviction to be there and offer some loving words. I met the daughter and could tell how fraught she was in her grief. I boldly asked her if she was a believer and she said she was working on it; that she had turned away. I told her that I would pray that her heart would be opened to receiving the comfort and peace that only God can give her. I went on over to the husband and prayed he too would have comfort and peace. I walked away from this service thinking how much God had helped me with the loving words and touch I gave these people. I let God use me as his tool. My fearful nature is still there but I have come more and more to rely on God to help me overcome when those moments creep in. I can see a time when I will fear no more thanks be to God.
1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment