Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Where Do You Start?



The whole thing with getting disciplined about being in God’s Word, praying, meditating, memorization, etc. is there is an experimental time. You have to find when it best fits into your schedule. Having kids in the house makes anything challenging when they are around or awake so fitting prayer in a quiet time without any potential interruptions is going to be the most optimal. I often wake up and pray a bit right there in bed before I even get up for the day but I am wanting to find a time that works better as I often feel the pull of getting up and on with my day. I have often loved going on a walk and that is such a good time spent with God so I am going to see how to go about doing that every day. This may have to be an unscheduled thing but a task to do every day no matter when it is done kind of thing. I think a lot of us are in prayer mode in little spurts like in the car alone and driving to an appointment or sitting on the toilet with nothing to read so you pray (yes, you know you have probably done it too!). I started what is called the Psalm prayers where I read a psalm at a certain time of day, morning, noon or night. Afterward, I write up my own prayer based on what I read in the Psalm. This is challenging as I am already a day behind so it has to be one of those things I have to keep at it and not worry about falling behind but just keep going. It’s not about failing. It is about staying persistent in trying. It will be that way for all disciplines. Don’t give up because you forgot to water the garden yesterday, get out and water the garden today! It will always be about what you are going to do right now. Right now, I am going to pray. 

Father, spending time with you and in your Word are important to me and yet I so easily can let it go by the wayside going on to worldly things that need my attention. With your help, I can become more disciplined in every area of my life especially this area of my inner soul and tending the garden there. I am the gardener of my soul but you are the lead gardener. Help me to learn by the example of your son Jesus and help me to become a stellar gardener of my soul. With you all things are possible. In Jesus’ name. Amen. 

My memory verse: 
 
Psalm 1
Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord and on this law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water which yields fruit in it's time and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers. (by memory so far)
Not so the wicked! They are like chaff that the wind blows away. Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgement, nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous. For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous, by the way of the wicked will perish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment