Monday, March 31, 2014

How We Underestimate the Lord



I have been reading a book to my daughter each night before bed called The Roman, The Twelve, and the King by Jenny L. Cote. It is the third book in the series the Epic Order of the Seven. The author bases the story on exactly with what is in the bible and embellishes it with the story of the talking animals who are in service to the Lord to help with whatever task they are given. The fat always hungry orange tabby cat, Al is the one who brings attention to the 2 fish and 5 loaves of bread a little boy has who is among the crowd of 5000 men and untold number of women and children. They are in a remote area and there is not time to send these people home to eat. Jesus takes the bread and fish, blesses it and multiplies it enough to fully feed all the people with 12 baskets full of left overs. The disciples have seen untold number of miracles up to this point but still they underestimate what Jesus can do. I especially like the added quote that the author put in of what Jesus says to Philip regarding the small amount of food they have. Here is that excerpt:  Jesus began to tear the loaf apart, and handed the first small piece to Philip. “Don’t measure the size of the challenge by what you have to offer, but by what God can do with what you give him, no matter how small.” This makes me think of my own calling and the doubts and fears I have had to overcome. Despite what little I can give in terms of my skills and gifts, God will take it and make it into something extraordinary. The Lord never ceases to amaze me.
John 6:1-15

No comments:

Post a Comment