Sunday, January 19, 2014

EATING WITH FAITH


I am starting my third week of the Daniel Fast. In a nutshell, the Daniel Fast is based on Daniel in the book of Isaiah who refuses to eat the spread of food the king provides but faithfully, stays committed to eating what God wants him to eat. It doesn’t specifically say what these foods are or what he was avoiding but interpretations of it say it is the sweets and meats. Ouch.  The guidelines I am using are from the book The Daniel Fast by Kristen Feola.

In my two weeks thus far, I have found that meat although yummy is set apart from other foods and put on a pedestal. Meat eaters worship their meat. The main component of every meal is the meat but I have found that I am sustained without meat and my feelings towards it are becoming more realistic. It is a food God provides but it should not be worshipped.

The sweet part has been easier only because of my Paleo eating which I think really helped prepare me for this fasting. I have discovered dates and making date honey from one of the many recipes in the book. My favorite breakfast smoothie is with dark chocolate hazelnut coconut butter, banana, whey protein, date honey, almond milk and ice. Yum.

Many people will stray from their diet New Year’s resolutions because of all the temptations, lack of total commitment and lack of faith. Our bodies are at war with our souls. Our bodies want the meat, the sweets, the caffeine, the bottle of wine but our soul which is part of our mind is wanting to do well and not eat the chocolate bar or gorge on a prime rib dinner. It is a constant battle that we cannot win on our own. Like the United States of America in the war with Britain for her independence, they needed help. God brought them the help they needed through the French.  We too need the help of the Holy Spirit to help us overcome sin and the evil that wants to control us through our bodies and our minds. Faith is the key to overcoming and conquering the worshipping of our food we eat and so much more.

If you have started a new way of eating and want it to succeed, your faith is the key factor in this success.

Romans 7:22-23 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law, but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Date Honey recipe:

6-8 Medjook dates, pitted

1 cup water

Slice and take out pits, put dates into saucepan and combine with water. The water should cover the top of them so add more if necessary. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Pour the whole thing into a blender and blend. Store in fridge for up to a week.

Costco has a good deal on them!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment